North American P-51D Mustang
@ Salinas Airport, Salinas, CA
The Rolls-Royce heart of the classic Mustang was seen here at Airmotive Specialty during a Society for Aviation History tour. First produced in 1936, production of the Merlin ceased in 1950 after 160,000 engines had been delivered. More than 8100 of the D-model were produced, contributing to the total of 15,000 Mustangs built for the war. This aircraft was formerly owned by Lefty Gardner and raced at Reno. Nikon D7100 w/Tokina 10-17mm, processing with Aperture and Aurora HDR.