Supermarine Mk IXe Spitfire
@ Military Aviation Museum, Virginia Beach, VA
The Museum’s Spitfire was produced in December, 1943, and went on to serve in North Africa, Italy, Corsica, Greece, and Yugoslavia. Post-war it wound up in Israel, where it eventually became a worn-out playground attraction in an Israeli kibbutz, from where it was rescued in 1978. Restoration was finally completed in 1988, and the Museum acquired it in 1999. The suffix (e) designated the use of .50 caliber guns to replace the .303 caliber guns since most aircraft armor used in the late stages of WWII were impervious to the smaller round. Nikon D7000 w/18-200mm, processed with Aperture.